Kempe works directly with state and national lawmakers and human services agencies to adopt laws and policies that protect children and families impacted by abuse and neglect through public policy and awareness advocacy. We partner with communities to raise awareness about child abuse and neglect and empower them with knowledge to prevent child abuse and neglect. The money raised by The Kempe Foundation directly supports the work of The Kempe Center and our goal to prevent and treat child abuse and neglect around the nation and globe.
In 2016, Kempe:
- Secured $6,526,955 in funding for the Child Welfare Training System, and $5,447,875 for the ongoing implementation of SafeCare in the FY 2016-17 State of Colorado budget.
- Worked with Smart Colorado to pass SB 080 – requiring any medical marijuana grow operation to be locked and restrict access to those under the age of 21 unless an individual is 18 years old and holds a medical marijuana card.
- Worked with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment to pass HB 1436 – prohibiting edibles from being in the shape of animals, fruit or humans.
- Hosted Annual Legislative Reception for Colorado lawmakers.
- Engaged in national policy efforts to increase funding allocated for child abuse and neglect programs in the Federal budget.