April is Child Abuse Prevention Month
Activities Happening at The Kempe Center and Children’s Hospital Colorado – Please join us and help spread the word!
Tuesday, April 1, 6:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.: Blueberry Bagel Giveaway -- Staff Entrance at Children’s Hospital Colorado/The Kempe Center
- Blueberry Bagel Giveaway for all staff (while supplies last)
- Learn more about The Kempe Center and Children’s Hospital Colorado and our mission to prevent and treat child abuse and neglect
- Mark your calendars for a FREE Blue Jeans Day to bring awareness to the prevention of child abuse and neglect. Blue jeans and all blue attire ENCOURAGED for all CHC and Kempe Center staff!
- 11:30 a.m. – Noon: Please join us in the CHC atrium to assemble a giant LIVIN’ BLUE RIBBON.
- 11:45 a.m.: Remarks by Jim Shmerling, CEO, Children’s Hospital Colorado and Dr. Des Runyan executive director of The Kempe Center.
- Immediately following the presentation, an official photo will be taken from the 4th floor.
- The first 200 guests will receive a free BLUE t-shirt (to qualify, you must participate in the LIVIN’ BLUE RIBBON).
- Blue ribbon car magnets will be provided to all guests. For more information, visit kempe.org.
- Following the event, make your own LIVIN’ BLUE RIBBON to show your commitment to the prevention of child abuse and neglect. Invite friends and family to do the same. Post your photos on FACEBOOK to show your support.
Saturday, April 26: 6:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. -- Embrace Kids Embrace Colorado Annual Gala at the Seawell Grand Ballroom at The Denver Center for Performing Arts
- Join us to celebrate and be inspired by the important work happening at The Kempe Center during The Kempe Foundation’s largest annual fundraiser Embrace Kids Embrace Colorado!
- Cocktail Reception and Silent Auction: 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Dinner, Program and Entertainment: 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Live Music and Dancing: 8:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 30, Noon-1:00 p.m.: Lunch & Learn at Children’s Hospital Colorado (Second Floor, Mt. Yale Room)
Presented by The Kempe Center and Foundation and Children’s Hospital Colorado
Continued discussion in response to “Failed to Death” series by 9News and the Denver Post -- Child abuse professionals will discuss current and proposed Colorado legislation; new collaboration between the state, The Kempe Center, and Children’s Hospital Colorado including SafeCare and the Colorado Child Welfare Training Academy; and what we can do as individuals to make a difference to protect our children from abuse and neglect. Please join us; the public is welcome!
Blue Ribbon at the Gary Pavilion
What Is Child Abuse Prevention Month?
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. With this month-long observance, The Kempe Foundation for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect raises awareness in the community around the critical issue of child abuse and neglect and to educate the public on prevention. This community relations effort is aimed at increasing awareness of child abuse and neglect, increasing public support, and educating on its prevention.
Below are some resources and tips sheets about how to get the community invovled with the issue of child abuse and neglect, positive parenting and caregiving and how to support Kempe.
As we support Child Abuse Prevention Month, you'll see Denver turn on the blue with ribbons placed around town during April. If you would like to request a blue ribbon for your building or small blue ribbons for employees to wear, please call Kempe at 303-864-5300.