April is Child Abuse Prevention Month
Activities Happening at The Kempe Center and Children’s Hospital Colorado – Please join us and help spread the word!
Tuesday, April 1, 6:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.: Blueberry Bagel Giveaway -- Staff Entrance at Children’s Hospital Colorado/The Kempe Center
- Blueberry Bagel Giveaway for all staff (while supplies last)
- Learn more about The Kempe Center and Children’s Hospital Colorado and our mission to prevent and treat child abuse and neglect
- Mark your calendars for a FREE Blue Jeans Day to bring awareness to the prevention of child abuse and neglect. Blue jeans and all blue attire ENCOURAGED for all CHC and Kempe Center staff!
- 11:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: Please join us in the CHC atrium to assemble a giant LIVIN’ BLUE RIBBON.
- 11:10 a.m.: Remarks by Jim Shmerling, CEO, Children’s Hospital Colorado and Dr. Andrew Sirotnak, Vice Chair for Faculty Affairs, The Kempe Center
- Immediately following the presentation, an official photo will be taken from the 4th floor.
- The first 200 guests will receive a free BLUE t-shirt (to qualify, you must participate in the LIVIN’ BLUE RIBBON).
- Blue ribbon car magnets will be provided to all guests. For more information, visit kempe.org.
- Following the event, make your own LIVIN’ BLUE RIBBON to show your commitment to the prevention of child abuse and neglect. Invite friends and family to do the same. Post your photos on FACEBOOK to show your support.
Wednesday, April 15, 11:45 a.m.-1:00 p.m.: Lunch & Learn at Children’s Hospital Colorado (Second Floor, Mt. Yale Room)
RAISING COLORADO ONE CHILD AT A TIME
Presented by The Kempe Center and Foundation and Children’s Hospital Colorado
In support of Child Abuse Prevention Month, child abuse professionals will discuss current and proposed Colorado legislation and the new collaboration between the state, Children’s Hospital Colorado, and the Kempe Center including SafeCare and the Colorado Child Welfare Training System.
Our panel of speakers will discuss what we can do as individuals and employees to make a difference to protect children from abuse and neglect.
Zach Zaslow – Government Affairs Team, Children’s Hospital Colorado Donna L. Parrish, M.A., LPC - Principal Investigator, Central Management Organization-Colorado Child Welfare Training System, The Kempe Center Desmond Runyan, MD, DrPH – Executive Director, The Kempe Center Katherine L. Casillas, PhD - Director, SafeCare® Colorado, The Kempe Center
Saturday, April 26: 6:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. -- Embrace Kids Embrace Colorado Annual Gala at the Seawell Grand Ballroom at The Denver Center for Performing Arts
- Join us to celebrate and be inspired by the important work happening at The Kempe Center during The Kempe Foundation’s largest annual fundraiser Embrace Kids Embrace Colorado!
- Cocktail Reception and Silent Auction: 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Dinner, Program and Entertainment: 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Live Music and Dancing: 8:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Blue Ribbon at the Gary Pavilion
What Is Child Abuse Prevention Month?
With this month-long observance, The Kempe Foundation helps to raise awareness in the community around the critical issue of child abuse and neglect. We help to educate parents, communities & businesses on ways they can help to prevent abuse. Join us in April and show your support by wearing blue. You can make a difference - one child at a time.
Below are some resources and tips sheets about how to get the community invovled with the issue of child abuse and neglect, positive parenting and caregiving and how to support Kempe.
Recognizing the alarming rate at which children continued to be abused and neglected and the need for innovative programs to prevent child abuse and assist parents and families affected by...
The Blue Ribbon Child Abuse Prevention Campaign had its early beginnings following the death of a very young child. In spring 1989, Bonnie Finney, a Virginia grandmother, received the devastating...